Mane News

What Does It Means To Be On A Sports Team?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Technical Sgt. Jeffrey A. Wolfe Source Licence

Emma Duan, Staff Writer

In order to graduate, freshmen and sophomores have to get two sport credits, and for junior and seniors, one. This is a rigid rule, but your choice is very flexible: from basketball to cross country, from spring track to wrestling, from softball to swimming… Yes, whatever you choose is fine! You can even get approval to do off campus sports or do “fitness” and still get credit; our school just wants us to be healthy. However, have you considered anything other than the sports “credit”?

Many people have chosen fitness to fulfill their sport credit because it’s easy. By making this choice they do not have to run around one and a half hours per day like runners do, nor do they need to stay at school until six to play an intense basketball game. So, is fitness the best option for all of us? Why do we bother to join a sport team? I don’t mean to criticize the students who chose fitness because all people have different things they dedicate themselves too. But these students might be losing something by doing just fitness. As an international student from China who used to be very bad at sports, I realized something when I finished my first cross country season: when we go out to compete, it is not about pure competition, but about inclusiveness, spirit, and friendship. I run in the Junior Varsity division, and I’m certainly not the person whose situation decides whether the team is losing or winning. However, the fact is, whenever I run, the rest of team would always root me on, even if they have just returned from their own races and feel exhausted.

St. Andrew’s Spirit

I have heard a question many times from some eighth grade athletes who are considering applying for high school, “What makes your basketball/baseball/swim/etc. team unique?” And I have heard responses like, “Oh, our team was the champion/co-champion last year! You’d be a great addition!” There is nothing wrong with saying that. People do put a lot of emphasis on losing and winning. But, if I were the coach, I would talk about the team’s spirit.

Students on sports teams always host a lot of activities. During workouts and at competitions athletes always cheer on their teammates. Captains and coaches always have positive attitudes about keeping the whole team passionate to do what they are doing. For example, on the girl’s cross country team, even if someone is injured, they always show up at meets and go to spots like the beginning of a hill, the starting point, and the finish line to support their teammates. Or, if someone can’t show up, they might ask their parents to bring their teammates snacks. Swim team, too; whenever team members are free they stand on the opposite side of the starting point to root their teammates on. According to my current observation, we are the only team who do that. So St. Andrew’s spirit is the best part about being on a sports team! 

• Contributors To This Issue

Contributors To The April, 2018 Edition

• What Does It Means To Be On A Sports Team?

Opinion

Net Neutrality Is Gone

Student Life

St. Andrew’s Status Check

Opinion

Where is the Environment Going?

Opinion

Differences Between Chinese And American Education

Student Writes

Artifice

Student Life

Welcome to the International House

Opinion

Senior Life

Opinion

Why “Fake News” Isn’t Cutting It

Opinion

Reflection on Trip to the National Museum of African American History and Culture Museum

The student news site of St. Andrew's Episcopal School in Potomac, Maryland