Mane News

Senior Life

Jack Helmanis, Staff Writer

Like all great works done by seniors, I’m writing this last minute because… senioritis. As a senior, your prerogatives change from when you were a junior. As a junior or underclassman, you look to challenge yourself by taking as many AP’s and Honors classes as possible, regardless of difficulty. But as a senior you ease up. All you want as a senior is an A, so you consider which AP classes you are most likely are going to succeed in and you take those. Subsequently, you take a lower level class for those subject’s you won’t do well in. The idea is that you try to get as many AP classes as you can get an A in so that the GPA boost puts your grade above an A. Do not try to push yourself – you’re looking for quality in this case, not quantity. If you are bad at math do not try to push through Multivariable Calculus, or, on the flip side, do not do AP Language if you are terrible at English. Although this should seem obvious, I made a mistake the beginning of the trimester and was in AP BC Calculus when I should have been in AP AB Calculus. I proceeded to drop down, and that’s the other thing. If you do mess up don’t fear dropping a class or dropping down a level – again quality vs. quantity.  

The other thing about being a senior that changes is your extracurriculars. Imagine a slider in your head which measures how much, or if, a club meets and how good it looks on resumes. Find the compromise you need or want and decide from there. For example, I’m in 5 or so clubs which barely if ever meet, with the exception of Mane News. Almost all the clubs look great on a college resume.       

• Senior Life

Opinion

Net Neutrality Is Gone

• Senior Life

Opinion

Where is the Environment Going?

• Senior Life

Opinion

Differences Between Chinese And American Education

• Senior Life

Opinion

Why “Fake News” Isn’t Cutting It

• Senior Life

Opinion

Reflection on Trip to the National Museum of African American History and Culture Museum

• Senior Life

Opinion

Global Warming – the Earth’s Plea For Help

• Senior Life

Opinion

Meaning of Hip Hop in the U.S.

• Senior Life

Opinion

Anthem Protests

• Senior Life

Opinion

Design Thinking at St. Andrew’s

• Senior Life

Opinion

Politics at St. Andrew’s

The student news site of Saint Andrew's Episcopal School in Potomac, Maryland