Mane News

Diagramming the Student Brain

Back to Article
Back to Article

Diagramming the Student Brain

Cartoonist: Joy Reeves

Cartoonist: Joy Reeves

Cartoonist: Joy Reeves

Joy Reeves, Staff Writer, Staff Cartoonist

Behind each of my cartoons I try to insert an underlying and relatable truth. For an image that would be used on the cover of CTTL literature I was told I should aim to combine humor and subtle scientific accuracies in a drawing that would convey a goal of the CTTL: understanding the brain as a core part of teaching and learning.

So I decided I would teach the audience a perspective of my own.

First came the sketch. What came to my mind? A huge brain. Not just any brain, but a hectic, glorious student brain; a brain drawn from my experiences as a teenager, a scholar, and a CTTL Student Research Fellow. In attempting to sketch a human brain and drawing what looked like a dehydrated lima bean, I quickly realized that I was very rusty on my neurological scientific anatomy. Refusing to admit that I was a CTTL Fellow finding myself in this position, I quickly turned to the Internet for detailed brain diagrams. I found hundreds. Before I knew it, I was enjoying a self-taught lesson on the parts and regions of my own mind, becoming absorbed in the complexities and conveniences of its remarkable design.

I first drew out several factual parts and regions of the brain. I was reminded that our capacity for rational thought is really guided by the prefrontal cortex region lying just behind our foreheads. Also, the fact that we all have a portion of the brain called the anterior cingulate that is dedicated entirely to motivation is fascinating. Most diagrams of the brain are so detailed it’s overwhelming, yet understanding the regions of our brain is crucial for education.

I considered just drawing my own labeled scientific diagram for the CTTL cover. But where’s the fun in that? I was missing something. What about the portions of our student brains that crave a three-cheese pizza at midnight, or harbors hundreds of our favorite snippets of internet humor? What about wanderlust, spontaneous teenage wisdom, or the deeply-rooted school spirit that emerges in our senior year of high school? I started drawing in these abstract, imaginative regions to capture both the teenage mind and soul. My sketch combined factual regions, such as the hippocampus, amygdala, and prefrontal cortex, with my fictional regions, such as “Memory Lane” or the “iForgot Zone.” A traffic light, a hippo, a monkey with cymbals, and, yes, a fidget spinner, all took form in my diagram.

After a few hours spent drawing and inhaling the fumes of permanent markers, I had transferred the sketch into a final inked form and uploaded it to Photoshop. As the CTTL would say, I was not proficient with Photoshop…yet. I decided it was time to teach myself the skill. Finally, and victoriously, I succeeded in blocking in a simple psychedelic pastel color scheme for my brain drawing. I experienced, firsthand, another central message of the CTTL: our brains are not fixed to be “good” or “bad” at something indefinitely.

Overall, the opportunity to create a cartoon for the CTTL was one of the most rewarding parts of my summer. I hope that parents, teachers, students, and Academy attendees can all relate to my depiction of the animated, ridiculous, and remarkable Student Brain.

• Contributors To This Issue

Contributors To The April, 2018 Edition

• Diagramming the Student Brain

Opinion

Net Neutrality Is Gone

• Diagramming the Student Brain

Student Life

St. Andrew’s Status Check

• Diagramming the Student Brain

Opinion

Where is the Environment Going?

• Diagramming the Student Brain

Opinion

Differences Between Chinese And American Education

• Diagramming the Student Brain

Student Writes

Artifice

• Diagramming the Student Brain

Student Life

Welcome to the International House

• Diagramming the Student Brain

Opinion

Senior Life

• Diagramming the Student Brain

Opinion

Why “Fake News” Isn’t Cutting It

• Diagramming the Student Brain

Opinion

Reflection on Trip to the National Museum of African American History and Culture Museum

The student news site of St. Andrew's Episcopal School in Potomac, Maryland