Mane News

“Thor: Ragnarok” – The Preview

Back to Article
Back to Article

“Thor: Ragnarok” – The Preview

Photo: masbt Source Licence

Photo: masbt Source Licence

Photo: masbt Source Licence

Isabel Atiyah, Staff Writer

The live countdown on IMDb’s Thor: Ragnarok page is allowing me to see thirteen days, one hour, and seventeen seconds into the future. Picture it, it’s finally Friday, November 3rd, you’re sad about Halloween ending but it’s the beginning of a long weekend and you decide to go see a PG-13 action movie with your friends or family. Well, do I have the movie for you. I am referring to Thor: Ragnarok, the third installment of the Thor movie franchise. The first and second Thor movies, Thor (2011), and Thor: The Dark World (2013), both star one of Hollywood’s most famous Australians, Chris Hemsworth, alongside Natalie Portman (The Black Swan), Anthony Hopkins (The Silence of the Lambs), Stellan Skarsgard (Good Will Hunting), and Tom Hiddleston (The Night Manager). Chris Hemsworth will reprise his main role as Thor in what fans and film-makers alike have nicknamed Ragnarok. Cate Blanchett (Elizabeth I) and Mark Ruffalo (Spotlight) have signed on to join a returning Tom Hiddleston reprising his role as Loki, the evil god of mischief. With the promise of new additions and an A-list cast it is no wonder Thor: Ragnarok is projected to be one of the biggest box office hits of the year.

If you haven’t seen the first two movies do not panic! I’ll sum it up for you. In Thor (2011), Thor is the arrogant and greedy Norse god of thunder and lightning. His father, Odin, is so upset by Thor’s arrogance that he banishes Thor to Earth where he stumbles into Natalie Portman and Stellan Skarsgard’s characters who are scientists examining unnatural phenomenon. Thor goes on a journey to become a better person worthy of his hammer, dates Natalie Portman’s character, and fights his evil brother Loki. Between the first and second film, The Avengers (2012) movie takes place. This sets up the plot for Thor: The Dark World in which an angry Natalie Portman’s character misses Thor and becomes possessed by one of the five infinity stones (more on that next year when Infinity War comes out!). Thor and the team of scientists from the first movie utilize movie astrology to save her from the power of the red aether stone.

Those of you who are hardcore Marvel fans or mythology fans will already know that Thor is a god from Norse mythology. While the first two movies did not really center around that, Ragnarok looks like its plot will actually align with events in real Norse mythology. Ragnarok is actually the doomsday event in the mythology where the world is predicted to end. So whether you want to see Chris Hemsworth’s abs, an awesome action movie, or just want to see a fun movie with your friends, I highly recommend going to see Thor: Ragnarok on November 3rd.

• “Thor: Ragnarok” – The Preview

A&E

Success At Busch Gardens

• Contributors To This Issue

Contributors To The April, 2018 Edition

• “Thor: Ragnarok” – The Preview

Opinion

Net Neutrality Is Gone

• “Thor: Ragnarok” – The Preview

Student Life

St. Andrew’s Status Check

• “Thor: Ragnarok” – The Preview

Opinion

Where is the Environment Going?

• “Thor: Ragnarok” – The Preview

Opinion

Differences Between Chinese And American Education

• “Thor: Ragnarok” – The Preview

Student Writes

Artifice

• Contributors To This Issue

Contributors to the January 2018 Edition

• “Thor: Ragnarok” – The Preview

Student Life

Welcome to the International House

• “Thor: Ragnarok” – The Preview

Opinion

Senior Life

The student news site of St. Andrew's Episcopal School in Potomac, Maryland