Mane News

Global Warming – the Earth’s Plea For Help

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo: woodleywonderworkds Source Licence

Will Canellakis, Staff Writer

Teen suicide has always been a pressing matter, but recently it has become much more prevalent in society, especially with Broadway’s Dear Evan Hansen. As a result, many people have begun sharing their personal exposés with the world and have advocated for increased attention surrounding not only teen suicide but mental health in its entirety. The resurgence of mental health advocacy has led to furthered research on the topic and displayed to society the “red flags” that indicate a person’s plea for help. There are a range of beliefs regarding the question of why teens, in general, feel so trapped that suicide is seemingly the only escape. Disregarding the multifaceted answer to this, there is an inexorable link between “red flags,” the question “why,” and that of global warming.

Global warming is a hotly debated issue in society that, much like teen suicide, has resulted in an increased amount of research surrounding it. To exemplify some of the research, scientists have noted the steady rise in temperature and extrapolated the consequences of the rise- e.g., melting glaciers and subsequent raised water level. In addition to this, the destruction of animal habitats and other environments has begun affecting humans in much more prominent ways, such as a global temperature increase. Thus, climate change has led to the seemingly rhetorical question “how can we prevent it?” Beyond that, it has led to the statement that if we cannot save our planet, everything that we aspire to be – an artist, a teacher, a musician – will all be for naught because our earth will be inhospitable. This statement seems to be losing value, however, as our government, and our society, have turned a blind eye to earth’s red flags. This is extremely problematic. Many people still believe that global warming, or climate change, is a myth, in spite of the evidence. People are denying the frightening reality that this planet will not sustain us for much longer and in turn are making this catastrophic problem increasingly more difficult to solve. This neglect parallels that of teen suicide. The parents, friends, and adults in a teens life who ultimately miss the signs and are left with the sheer horror of irremediable death are forever broken because they had a chance to save the teen but missed it. We cannot let that happen. We cannot continue to ignore earth’s calls for help. We cannot miss the opportunity to save the planet which we call home. If we do I believe that humans will all die- that’s it. There’s nothing more to it. Regardless of status, regardless of the amount of money you have, regardless of anything that separates you from the average Joe, there will be nothing left and everything you worked for will ultimately be destroyed. We all need to be selfless and selfish at the same time. We need to disregard the pedantic details in our lives and fight the one true battle that matters more than anything- the battle for survival. We must save our own lives by saving the lives of everyone around us. If we can do this then there will be a future. If  we want something then we must work for it. Is your survival something that you want? If it is I’d advise you to start working towards saving your planet.

• Global Warming – the Earth’s Plea For Help

Opinion

Net Neutrality Is Gone

Opinion

Where is the Environment Going?

Opinion

Differences Between Chinese And American Education

Opinion

Senior Life

Opinion

Why “Fake News” Isn’t Cutting It

Opinion

Reflection on Trip to the National Museum of African American History and Culture Museum

Opinion

Meaning of Hip Hop in the U.S.

Opinion

Anthem Protests

Opinion

Design Thinking at St. Andrew’s

Opinion

Politics at St. Andrew’s

The student news site of St. Andrew's Episcopal School in Potomac, Maryland