The student news site of Saint Andrew's Episcopal School in Potomac, Maryland

Mane News

Presidential Hopefuls

Photo: Rian Castillo Source Licence

Photo: Rian Castillo Source Licence

Marcus Mahtemework, Staff Writer, and Matthew Mardirossian, Contributing Writer

Why You Should Vote for Bernie Sanders

By Marcus Mahtemework

I understand that many people think that politics are confusing. So many debates, long speeches, difficult political jargon used by these candidates; it can all get a little bit overwhelming. For those of you who don’t have enough political awareness to keep up with these things, allow me to simplify what Bernie Sanders, the ideal liberal candidate, aims to achieve. Bernie Sanders wants to offer healthcare to the masses for only a small tax, allowing it to be accessible by all and to establish it as a political right so neither you, the working American citizen, nor your employer would have to pay for your health care. Not only would his plan save an estimated six billion dollars in the next decade compared to what we spend now, it would also save the average family $5,000 – not something the Republicans would do as we are the only country in the world to not offer health care as a right. Sanders has been a strong advocate for the improvement of minority and civil rights and has pushed for feminist rights as he aims to achieve a 12 week medical leave for new mothers. A strong socialist and believer in class equality, he aims to raise the minimum wage from a national $7.25 to $15 per hour. He wants to give students the opportunity to refinance their student loans at a lower percentage rate because he understands the importance of higher education in this society, and he firmly admits that no one should be barred from that prospect because of their inability to pay off their loans. To make this possible Sanders aims to create some public colleges and establish tuition free universities. He wants to expand social security so that people can live a happy life after work, not one where they are barely making ends meet. Lastly, Bernie Sanders acknowledges that 62% of the people in the world own half of its wealth. Since he fights for class equality and the progression of the lower and middle classes we should continue being the base of his campaign and propel him past the primaries into the race for president.

Republicans In and Out of the Race

By Matthew Mardirossian

Ted Cruz – Ted Cruz’s campaign is built off of the grassroots. On multiple occasions he has shown that he will do whatever it takes to stand up to the Washington, DC machine, such as when he spoke for 21 hours on the Senate floor in an attempt to filibuster Obamacare. For those of you who are not familiar with Ted Cruz’s policies, let me introduce a few of them to you. One of the first things that Ted Cruz has promised to do is rip the Iran deal into pieces and stand with Israel. Ted Cruz has made it clear that Israel is and always has been one of the United States’ greatest allies and during a time like this we must stand with them. In terms of taxes, Ted Cruz supports a flat tax. A flat tax will tax everyone at the same marginal rate, which will generate economic growth.

Ben Carson – Ben Carson is no longer seeking the Republican nomination, but here is a summary of some of his political views. The retired neurosurgeon made it abundantly clear from day 1 that he was running for the people. His campaign was built off of the principle of “we the people”, and he stated numerous times that he would remain in the race as long as the people continued to show their support for him. Although Ben Carson didn’t have as much political experience as his competitors he showed that he had enough knowledge to be Commander in Chief and lead the country. Dr. Carson shocked the world at the 2013 National Prayer Breakfast when he challenged Washington, D.C. politicians, our politically correct culture, and the Obama administration. After that, Dr. Carson’s message continued to spread throughout the country and resonate with the people. He supported a flax tax that would tax everyone at the same marginal rate and generate more economic growth. He also advocated for a simpler tax code, due to the fact that our current one is very complex and hard to understand. This would have alleviated stress off of the middle class and helped many achieve the American dream. In terms of Immigration, Dr. Carson recognized that the majority of Americans want our borders secured and was in favor of ending government overreach, reforming our immigration policies, boosting visa enforcement, and securing our borders. If you were frustrated with the politically correct culture in Washington, D.C and fed up with Washington, D.C. politicians, Ben Carson would have been the candidate for you. For current information you can visit Ben Carson’s official website, https://www.bencarson.com

• Presidential Hopefuls

Opinion

Design Thinking at St. Andrew’s

• Presidential Hopefuls

Opinion

Politics at St. Andrew’s

• Presidential Hopefuls

Opinion

Harriet Tubman to Replace Jackson on the Twenty

• Presidential Hopefuls

Opinion

A Critique of Public Shaming in an Otherwise Inclusive Environment

• Presidential Hopefuls

Opinion

Why Being an Introvert is Easy at St. Andrew’s

• Presidential Hopefuls

Opinion

The Debate Over the 30th

• Presidential Hopefuls

Opinion

Put the Student in Student Center

• Presidential Hopefuls

Student Life

Danan’s Spring Break

• Presidential Hopefuls

Comic Relief

Parts Of A Suitcase

• Presidential Hopefuls

Clubs

The Social Investment Club: A New Take on Student-Run Giving